Registered users do not see these ads. Join our community today!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Things Made Out Of Wooden Pallets Thread

Disable this ad by Registering! or signing in. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2NH View Post
    On flat ground i dont see how a jack stand is going to move. I mean the wheels should be blocked anyway.
    i think it was because the street was recently repaved (maybe 2 months or so before this incident) and i had 1 side of the front axle up on a stand, and started jacking up the other side, the same way i always have, and the whole jeep just tipped towards my already placed jack stand, and the bottle jack got jammed in there diagonally.
    the jack stand left some nice indentations in the pavement, i think it sunk in just enough to give it an angle to tip on.
    it was very scary as i watched the lifted tire come towards my head.

now every time i lift the jeep i get a little nervous lol.
    a jack giving out in the scariest thing, i think ive ever seen, in slow motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach2NH View Post
    I would weld a sheet of 1/8" on the bottom of a good jack stand before i would trust stuff like that.
    That was an example picture.

You use good quality wood in a fairly wide square, and you attach each level securely together to the ones above and below it. This means that the cribbing can't pull a Jenga on you. You can also give it a pyramid shape to add stability. Regardless, the frame is sitting on a big square of wood and is very stable and hard to tip. It's how they lift up houses.

Yes, jack stands will definitely sink into pavement...and I've seen some sketchy things on "flat ground where they shouldn't move" as well. **** happens.

If you don't hear from me for a week please come pull me out from under my truck

Quote Originally Posted by grand99 View Post
    i think it was because the street was recently repaved (maybe 2 months or so before this incident) and i had 1 side of the front axle up on a stand, and started jacking up the other side, the same way i always have, and the whole jeep just tipped towards my already placed jack stand, and the bottle jack got jammed in there diagonally.
    the jack stand left some nice indentations in the pavement, i think it sunk in just enough to give it an angle to tip on.
    it was very scary as i watched the lifted tire come towards my head.

now every time i lift the jeep i get a little nervous lol.
    Lose the bottle jack. Get a real floor jack. May save your life someday.

Mach2NH added 4 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxwell View Post
    Yes, jack stands will definitely sink into pavement...and I've seen some sketchy things on "flat ground where they shouldn't move" as well. **** happens.
    If you weld a plat to the bottom of a jack stand its going to take more then the thing can hold before it sinks into pavement. Your talking about pushing down a square foot of area. Its not going to happen. prob in sand but not on pavement. We have a dirt driveway and its fine on that as well.
    Last edited by Mach2NH; 05-03-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

floor jacks cost moolah. plus if my jeep crushes me, the kids and wife get $400,000.

From the WTB thread:

Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch View Post
    here are the pics of the shed.
    The floor and 3 walls are all made entirely from pallets. The roof is the only part I used new material for. Total cost for the entire build was $224.00 and it is way way stronger then anything sold at the home stores. It is 8 X 8 inside an the roof on the back has a large over hang which makes it a good place to store tires and steel stock. Each one of those garden tractors weigh over 800 pounds and the floor is holding them well.
    It was alittle more labor intensive to build because i cut up other pallets to use for the siding and and trim and what not what not.

I often pass by pallets in a spot near by my house. Now that I'm looking for them, the supply seems to have totally dried up. Typical. I'm still on the look out though - if anyone stumbles on a big stash, share the wealth

My pallet well is still dry. Anyone else having any luck lately?

there is a pallet making company down the street from my house less than a mile.
    I get a lot of scraps from them in winter for burning but now I am grabbing all the nice pallet pieces I can.
    I am going to try and build my chicken coop out of them hopefully all except for the roof and run section probably. :)
    once I get something going i will post it here. great thread!

great looking shed btw

only pallets ive found are the ones on ocean road but by the time i get there the good pieces are snagged already

B Bear is offline Wheeling For The Lost Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

I have used them as fire wood like others have!

I was driving home from a job site the other day and passed a pile of wood and a sign saying free fire wood. I was in my Subi so I could not grab them at that time. After work I returned with my car and trailer and loaded them up.
    I have plans to use these in / on a few projects starting with the chicken coop.
    not bad pieces a lot of good shape 2x6 and they came from a place that made fence poles so the box of free "fire wood" was round and square cut off posts. they will make great legs for my coop to sit on. (one I cut 4 to same length.)

more pallets and pieces I saved for the project. haha

it is going to be some hard work but I will nail something together that looks good and functions well. I plan to use the pallet wood as a wood siding and stain them as well.
    still in design phase.

Damn, good score. I'm on the hunt haha. Keep posting as you work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxwell View Post
    Damn, good score. I'm on the hunt haha. Keep posting as you work on it.
    Go on CL in the free section .. type in pallets !
    BUY , SELL , TRADE
    WHAT YOU GOT , WHAT YOU NEED

Quote Originally Posted by redneckboarder12 View Post
    who cares...if i can touch them theyre real!

Build smarter, not harder...

The trick isn't finding free ones, it's finding free ones close by so I don't have to shell out for fuel to go get them haha.