Turn this ad off with a Supporting Membership! We really appreciate the help!

Registered users do not see these ads. Join our community today!
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Map is Not the Territory: A Northern Maine Adventure

Default The Map is Not the Territory: A Northern Maine Adventure

Disable this ad by Registering! or signing in. :)
    The Map is Not the Territory

ad∑ven∑ture/adˈvenCHər/

Noun: An unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity.
    Verb: Engage in hazardous and exciting activity, esp. the exploration of unknown

epicxcrider added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

The Men

Nick C - Trip Leader From: Southern NH

Nick B - Photographer From: North Jersey

Chirp - Adventure Dog From: North Jersey

Jason G - Local Man of Mystery From: ?

Josh L - Driver / Engineer From: Seacoast Region NH

Kevin J - Scientist From: Some Lonley Island

Erek J - Chef / Adventurer From: Seacoast Region NH

epicxcrider added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

The Means

2007 FJ Cruiser: Lifted, Rear Locked, 33” MT’s, Winch
    1997 Lexus LX-450: Lifted, Fully Locked, 33” AT’s, Winch

epicxcrider added 0 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

The Mission:

I had never been to the North Maine Woods. I’d always heard it was a place where you saw more moose than people, where you could drive for days on endless dirt roads. Roads where overloaded & speeding log trucks set the rules. They made the roads, they own the roads, and they will run you off them if you don’t move out of the way.
    But there had to be more up North... some natural beauty in the relatively untouched lakes and rivers of the Alligash waterway. The mission was to explore the North country of New Hampshire and Maine and discover what I had been missing all these years.

Planning the trip was quite an undertaking - it took a long time to find published points of interest. I decided there would be three main destinations that would guide the rest of the route.
    The Two Trains - There are two abandoned steam locomotives in the North Maine Woods, and we would try to find them
    Gulf Hagas - The Grand Canyon of Maine - 5 mile long gorge strewn with waterfalls
    The B-52 Crash Site - A mountain in Maine where a Boeing B-52 crashed, the wreckage remains
    The rest of the route was determined by the desire to make the trip entirely on dirt roads - The Harder & More Wild the Better.

epicxcrider added 6 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

Stay tuned for more :)
    Last edited by EpicXCrider; 10-03-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

*f5 f5 f5 f5

achampagne is offline The Auto Spa Plymouth LLC Supporting Vendor
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Can't wait for the rest of this report!
    We are an automobile hand car wash and detail shop that customizes itís services to the needs of our customers: that's The Auto Spa in Plymouth, NH. For some people, automobile detailing means bringing the commuter car in a couple of times a year for maintenance-level treatment: auto waxing, wheel cleaning, UV protection, exterior trim care, and other services that are a few steps above the basic car wash routine. For those who are passionate about their cars, it means getting a complete auto detail every month or even every week. Then there are customers who are selling or have just purchased a car and need a reconditioning-level detail: clay bar treatment, scratch removal, the works. www.autospanh.com

I've always wanted to take my Jeep up there to do this... will be refreshing this thread constantly looking for more!!! :)
    1999 TJ - 3" lift, 4.10 gearing, locked rear, winch, 33" AT tires
    The Jeep

B Bear is offline Wheeling For The Lost Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Living in Maine, I wish I was part of this adventure.

This sounds like soooo much fun!! Can't wait to see all the pictures!! Especially one's of those three "points of interest" you listed! :D

By the way... the dog is adorable!! :)
    "There is no secret better kept than that between a girl and her horse"

"To ride a horse is to ride the sky"

Ok, updates may be slow because I'm still writing and editing this... but here's the first day :)

DAY ONE- Thursday 9.22.11 155 Miles

After hurriedly packing the FJ with Nick B and Jason, we were on the road at 5:00 PM headed for Concord. I would be driving for the whole trip since Nick B doesn’t drive stick and well... Jason has crashed more vehicles than I’ve owned.

In the spirit of the trip we decided not to take the highway and instead rode back roads to get there. After a short stop in Concord (so I could buy jeans and underwear since I had been too busy to do any laundry before the trip) we headed to our first dirt road of the trip: Sandwich Notch Road.

Sandwich Notch Road winds North into the White Mountains offering little challenge, though at night it is relatively untraveled. The road had previously been closed due to flooding so we were happy to find that it had been repaired and open. At this point we made contact with Josh in the LX - they were on the way from Rochester, NH and needed food. What better place to eat when you’re in the area than The Common Man?!

First we had to walk Adventure Dog and with the leash in New Jersey I found a suitable replacement...

Tree Saver Leash

Introductions were made, beer and burgers were consumed, then we were off to Sandwich Notch Road.

We made camp for the night in a cul-de-sac at the end of an old logging road, outside the State Forest land. Erek set up a pretty cool hammock with rain fly, the rest of us were in tents. It was misty and late, nobody felt like making a fire so we made do.

It was a good chance to get to know each other, everyone sat around the fire (lantern) drinking more beers and telling various college drinking tales and other fish-tales:P
    Last edited by EpicXCrider; 10-03-2011 at 06:18 PM.

What a great way to see Maine !Planing this trip agine ?
    Scott

1997 Jeep TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift ,SYE ,tom woods drive shafts ,BFG KM 2 33s ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,stinkys off road full roll cage , arb snorkel and a few outer moderate add ons ,with a bunch of gear, for some moderate c6s....along with a expedition Trailer, for those trail clean ups

Member :Treadlightly

Gawd, sounds great. Ill be keeping an eye on this thread!

Sounds like this needs to be an annual thing Nick!!! I too want in on this next year.

-dave
    '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser - SOLD link...Build Thread...link..... Going to be riding shotgun for now.
    http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...fRoadLogos.jpg

DAY TWO - Friday 9.23.11
    224 Miles

Tunes for the day: Bill Cosby Standup
    Day two began at 7 AM with coffee and oatmeal for breakfast and an early (kind of) start to the day. It was still misty and we had to pack up wet sleeping gear in the hopes that it would dry later in the day.

Josh had discovered the secret to oatmeal was piling as many other sweet things on top of it as possible. Mmmm Pumpkin.

Sandwich Notch Road (Class V - Maintained Dirt) is a nice scenic and hilly drive, so we took it slow and enjoyed the start of the fall foliage. Leaving the state forest there is a clearing and a house, which offered a few good photo ops. Foliage was at peak and pictures simply cannot illustrate the view we had through the mist that morning.

After Sandwich notch we cruised by Waterville Valley on Tripoli Road, which is another seasonal Class V dirt road. Foliage abounded casting the whole crew into a good mood. Tripoli Rd was considerably better than the highway and happened to be in good condition, covered a good distance at a good pace.

The original plan was to then take the Kancamagus highway to Bear Notch Road to Jefferson Notch Road (All class V). To make up some time - and because Jefferson Notch Road was closed due to flooding - we chose to take 93 to RT 3 to get to Groveton, NH where our next untraveled(by us) road would be.

Last edited by EpicXCrider; 11-02-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

sounds like a blast. i have seen the b-52 site by sled in winter. its right off the main trail just outside of town.
    11 ram 2500 cummins white. 6" bds lift and 37" nitto trail grapplers on xd hoss wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by ne07fjc View Post
    Sounds like this needs to be an annual thing Nick!!! I too want in on this next year.
    Ive wanted to see the trains for a ggod long time now, if any one wanted to plan somthing like this next year, I would be up for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Truck Mechanic View Post
    Ive wanted to see the trains for a ggod long time now, if any one wanted to plan somthing like this next year, I would be up for it!
    what are the roads like getting there? i would love to do this, just don't want to be trying to squeeze the dodge down anything. if its all logging roads i'm in.
    11 ram 2500 cummins white. 6" bds lift and 37" nitto trail grapplers on xd hoss wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by tbeaton View Post
    what are the roads like getting there? i would love to do this, just don't want to be trying to squeeze the dodge down anything. if its all logging roads i'm in.
    You'll see

epicxcrider added 0 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Quote Originally Posted by Truck Mechanic View Post
    Stay tuned :)
    Last edited by EpicXCrider; 10-04-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost