Registered users do not see these ads. Join our community today!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TJ Add-on Roll Cage.

Default TJ Add-on Roll Cage.

Disable this ad by Registering! or signing in. :)
    Well jeepcrawl asked me to design up a weld in roll cage for his TJ. After surfing the internet for ideas and going back and forth with him this is what I came up. A little different from whats out there but the one thing both jeepcrawl and I did not like is most of the them carry the flat dash side piece right to the floor taking up a lot of leg room getting in and out. So instead I used a piece of tube and tucked it in as far as I could.
    Some quick fab shoots using Tinas jeep as a mock up

painted

Jeep pre-install. Jeepcrawl knew this jeep was hit in the rear before he bought it, but what we didn't know until I put the cage in, is the stock roll cage was way out of whack. This made getting the cage in and welding the two together a lot more work. But I was able to get it done.

Jeep with cage, he will be painting the stock roll bar black to match the new. But I actually though the two tone look, looked good

wanna make one for a yj? since poison spyder and btf seem to think theirs are made of gold
    jon
    some parts to build a YJ buggy
    "look at life through the windshield not the rear view"

Also in doing some research on this I came across several pictures of what happens to a TJ when it does a roll on the road especially at highway speeds.....not good. The factory roll cage is a bare minimum design, needless to say I'm working on another one for Tina's jeep as we speak.
    The stock cage will take a roll on the trails but any high speed crash's are iffy. I know everyone thinks lift's, big tires and a winch are the important accessory to get first but I would also throw in a better cage to that list too. There are dozens of them out there to choose from even bolt in ones if you don't have a welder.

Here's what happens when a jeep rolls with the factory cage, those side bars above the doors are a joke.

Wow, nice work!

I really like the way you tucked in the front support to the dash, damn near hidden.

Me thinks it is time to quit your day job!

Tim
    It's all gone.

Thank you again chris,it came out awesome ...a long with the added safty,it is a piece of art !!
    Scott

1997 Jeep TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift ,SYE ,tom woods drive shafts ,BFG KM 2 33s ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,stinkys off road full roll cage , arb snorkel and a few outer moderate add ons ,with a bunch of gear, for some moderate c6s....along with a expedition Trailer, for those trail clean ups

Member :Treadlightly

chris your work is really really nice, i have been searching for a cage for the yj but everything out there is so "factory" made and dosent have the little touches that make it more user friendly, i like this set up looks real good, now to get going on your exo for the x90, the heck with tinas jeep :)

nice looking work there. i'm surprised at the damage of thos crashed jeep you posted up. one would think jeep would've improved on the design......
    .,=====o00o ____'95 2 Door XJ: bastard child
    //___l__,\____\,___ 4.5" lift, backyard rear bumper,
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[] tube roof rack, 33x12.5 BFG
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_) A/T's, 15" black steel wheels

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsterjoe View Post
    \now to get going on your exo for the x90, the heck with tinas jeep :)

(nice work though)

I'd be interested in that for Lindsay's Jeep. How much?

very nice

-Rich
    Sold
    '99TJ- 5.2L/NV3500/231
    HD 44 4.56 locked/d30 4.56 open
    RC 2.5"/1.25" BL
    36x13.5 IROK's

My build http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?t=8481

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsterjoe View Post
    chris your work is really really nice, i have been searching for a cage for the yj but everything out there is so "factory" made and dosent have the little touches that make it more user friendly, i like this set up looks real good, now to get going on your exo for the x90, the heck with tinas jeep :)
    Quote Originally Posted by higgo View Post

(nice work though)
    I have said the same but he said since he already has the templates it won't take that long. So it's not all me asking even though I do want it :nahnah:
    4.0, 4"RC, HP D30, 8.8, locked, 4:10, 35x13.5x15 BF Goodrich Krawlers, RR mega short sye, custom cv drive shaft, adjustable lower front control arms, Currie steering, Angry Diff Cover. 1 1/4 JKS body lift, MML, Stinky's Off Road front bumper, Stinky's Offroad Custom Cage.
    My Jeep Build up

Quote Originally Posted by Vishus1 View Post
    I have said the same but he said since he already has the templates it won't take that long. So it's not all me asking even though I do want it :nahnah:

That is HER story and she is sticking with it ......poor FJ 40 will never get off that dam jack stand ....
    Snoope

Quote Originally Posted by stinky_finger View Post
    I know everyone thinks lift's, big tires and a winch are the important accessory to get first but I would also throw in a better cage to that list too. There are dozens of them out there to choose from even bolt in ones if you don't have a welder.
    X Billion

As a bunch of you know on here my Phase II was upgrading the front axle and adding a winch but after having the Jeep be in a very iffy spot I went to safety for Phase II instead. A good cage should be high on everyones list of mods no matter what your rig is.

Great work as always Chris!!
    03 TJ, 3" BDS lift, 1.25" JKS BL, 1" JKS MML, JKS control arms, JKS track bars, 35" Swampers LTB, SwayLock, BellyUp, D44 4.88 rear ARB locker, D30 Front, SYE and CV shaft, Currier HD steering, Ground pounder front and rear bumpers, A to Z full length Rock Sliders, Dr Custom Werx cageGPS

Great American Jeep Rally

Very nice!

I might be letting you borrow baby Jeep sometime soon.
    My Jeep: http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?t=7394

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Lindsay says, "pick on somebody your own size".

looks good. yea lori you should get one to and support your local shop