Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Joining MappingNH

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    MappingNH tab at the top of the page, then click on the black "Login" button to the top right of the MappingNH logo.
    Ah, thank you
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    You're not Matt :p
    lol :)
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Hard to tell on that map, but it appears that 90% of the c6's in my area are still purple. I've gotta get my new ZJ trail ready and put my application in because I'd love to scout these for everyone! Trying to get my son (age 9) into something more outdoorsy and the last time I took him out in my YJ he had a blast so hoping to do some trail riding with him this year and scouting would be a great way to get er done.
    -- Jason
    Join my Facebook Group - New Hampshire Jeeps (just search for us)
    1998 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0, 42re Auto, 3.73's, 30" GoodYear Wrangler MT/R's
    2013 Jeep JK Unlimited 3.6l, Auto - Currently Stock (Wife's Vehicle)

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFreak81 View Post
    Hard to tell on that map, but it appears that 90% of the c6's in my area are still purple. I've gotta get my new ZJ trail ready and put my application in because I'd love to scout these for everyone! Trying to get my son (age 9) into something more outdoorsy and the last time I took him out in my YJ he had a blast so hoping to do some trail riding with him this year and scouting would be a great way to get er done.
    Sounds great :)
    All the information to qualify and submit your application is in post #1 of this thread ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Default Question on TreadLightly!

I just took that online course and I had two questions:

First, what do you think they really mean by "when possible avoid wet, muddy trails"? I ask because in New England a lot of the trails I ride my dirtbike on have sections where there are large puddles going across the entire trail and instead of going around I just ride through it, but it seems like TreadLightly! would have me turn around. Also with the winter we've had I imagine there are going to be a lot of muddy trails this year. I plan to take my Tacoma off-road so I am also asking about how much I need to avoid muddy trails if they are designated trails while wheeling.

Secondly, regarding minimizing the use of fire why do you need to gather wood far away from your camp? Is this to avoid overly depleting the surrounding area if it is a common camp site? Other than maybe the carbon emissions (which doesn't seem reasonable) or reducing the chance for a wildfire I don't really see why we need to minimize the use of fire's.

1st post to this forum, Hey Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ZMoney79 View Post
    I just took that online course and I had two questions:

First, what do you think they really mean by "when possible avoid wet, muddy trails"? I ask because in New England a lot of the trails I ride my dirtbike on have sections where there are large puddles going across the entire trail and instead of going around I just ride through it, but it seems like TreadLightly! would have me turn around. Also with the winter we've had I imagine there are going to be a lot of muddy trails this year. I plan to take my Tacoma off-road so I am also asking about how much I need to avoid muddy trails if they are designated trails while wheeling.

Secondly, regarding minimizing the use of fire why do you need to gather wood far away from your camp? Is this to avoid overly depleting the surrounding area if it is a common camp site? Other than maybe the carbon emissions (which doesn't seem reasonable) or reducing the chance for a wildfire I don't really see why we need to minimize the use of fire's.

1st post to this forum, Hey Everyone!
    Welcome!

TreadLightly has a much greater following out west, where wheeling is much different than it is here! If we turned around every time we came to a puddle, we wouldn't make it further than 100 feet on any trail. I don't think that's quite what they mean. And also remember there are different "levels" of TreadLightly! There are people who WOULD turn around at any puddle, and there are others who just wheel legally and don't do anything to deliberately damage the trails. I'd say we all fall somewhere in the middle of that.

My take on the "avoid muddy trails" is the same reason that most towns post their back roads with load limits for mud season, and many place legal closures on their Class VI roads (trails). First off, if a road is legally closed for mud season, you obviously shouldn't be there during the closed dates. But a lot of towns don't have a legally designated mud season and their Class VI's are legally "open" year round. That doesn't mean they aren't just as sensitive as the ones that do close. It's just that those towns don't recognize it as such an important issue.

I think the main purpose of "avoiding muddy trails" is to prevent erosion. Driving through a seasonal puddle will have a negligible effect on the environment, if any at all. But driving a heavy vehicle on a wet and soggy surface, especially with a lack of traction due to mud, will create ruts. The more people that use the trail while it's sensitive, the deeper and wider the ruts get. Those ruts channel water, which leads to erosion, as well as making the trail less enjoyable for those who use it in the future. Remember, these aren't 4x4 only trails. They are public roads for the most part, which also get used by hikers, horseback riders, ATVs, mountain bikers, etc.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing. Using or creating a bypass around a wet area is typically worse than going through it. Often times, these bypasses are created on private property off of the side of the public right-of-way. So on top of cutting down trees and creating a new trail and potentially more ruts, you would also be doing that on private property without permission.
    Last edited by Mr Bigshot; 03-20-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    Big Jeep - 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8, NP242 ESY transfer case swap, Dana 44A rear axle protected by Mountain Vista Fabrication skid plate, Spartan front locker, reinforced uni-body rails, custom boxed steel rock sliders doubling as air tanks, 5.5" Long Arm lift, 1" DOM crossover steering with Heim joints, 33x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrain tires, 12000lb Badlands winch.
    Little Jeep - 1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I6. Completely stock.
    Kermit - 1970 Jeep J-2500 pickup

The link to the course was/is not working, is this the correct course? Thank you in advance

https://tread-lightly.teachable.com/p/online-awareness-course